Open Database License (ODbL) v1.0 Release Candidate Available, Open Data Commons, April 29, 2009. Excerpt:
The Open Database License (ODbL) v1.0 “Release Candidate” is now available [here].
This updated version of the license incorporates a whole set of changes arising out of the earlier comments period and the main changes are summarized below.
As the naming suggests, we believe this text is now very close to a “production-ready” 1.0 license. To allow interested individuals and communities time to review the latest set of changes, as well as to provide an opportunity to catch any last minute “bugs”, there will be a 1 week comment period starting today and ending at midnight next Wednesday (6th May). Full details on how to comment can be found on the ODbL home page.
In preparation for the 1.0 release we have also prepared detailed instructions on how to apply the license which can also be found on the ODbL home page. Any feedback on these is also very welcome….
Summary of Changes
For the license, specific changes include:
- A variety of typos, grammar fixes and minor renaming
- Change “Publicly Convey” to “Use” as Trigger for SA
- Clarify “Publicly Convey”
- Change from “Data” to “Contents” for contents of DB.
- Introduction of proxy for specification of compatible licenses
- Clarification of what is required when making available of derivatives
- Reinstatement of terminated rights if breach ceases
- Move “How To Apply” section to website (not strictly part of license)
We have also prepared several new FAQs to address issues that were raised during the comment process…